1. Have a reason: Getting to the gym is the first step and sometimes the hardest. Having a reason to go makes it a lot easier to get there. This goes along with one of my 8 Tips for A Healthier You. That tip is to have goals. No matter how big or small, having a goal gives you a reason to get to the gym. I know for me whenever I didn't want to go to the gym or just loathed the idea of working out for whatever reason, I would get myself there and kill the workout.
2. Have a plan: Have a plan for when you get there. Make your own routine. I know a lot of people have their own routines- but it takes time and getting used to. For me, I like to get my cardio out of the way, for a lot of people it's the opposite. Some people like to fill up their water bottle or stretch first. It all depends on you and your level of comfort in the gym. Another thing people use as a resource before going to the gym are gym workouts. You can find these everywhere on the internet. People have devoted their lives and careers to creating these. There are so many resources out there you can use as your tool for success.
3. Look good, feel good: I'm definitely a firm believer in this. Wear clothes that you feel good in or accentuate what you love about your body. Whether its your legs, arms, or booty, love your body love yourself!! Also, invest in clothes and sneakers that are good for you. Don't buy things that are just cute because sometimes they are not sensible (for example: Nike Free sneakers).
4. Be confident: I can't stress this enough. Be proud of yourself for the moves you are making to better yourself and your life. Go to the gym and be confident because no one is looking at you or judging you. Everyone is there for a reason and 9/10 times, it's the same as your reason. Do not be embarrassed. Everyone in the gym had to start somewhere- you're not just magically fit. Keep your head up and do your thing. You'll get there, it just takes time. If you're starting to go to the gym to gain confidence, GOOD but it comes from within, not just from the gym.
5. Eat the right foods: You will not have a good workout if you haven't eaten the right foods beforehand. You body is a vessel. This means that you need to put the right forms of energy into your body in order for it to perform at it's best. This means having a balanced diet: proteins, carbs, and healthy fats. Foods like chicken, turkey, whole grains, sweet potatoes, salmon, nuts (almonds, peanuts, walnuts), avocado, extra virgin olive oil, etc.
6. The reward: When you walk out of those gym doors after completing a workout, there's just no better feeling. As I'm sure you've heard from so many sources, working out is a great way to relieve stress. Also, it has been proven that working out releases endorphins that make you happy. These are just a few of the rewards going to the gym and working out offer. It also gives you a sense of pride and self-love. What is a better reward than self-love and confidence? Not much in my book.
I hope that these tips will be used to greater your successes in becoming a healthier you! Comment below with any comments or questions :)
Labels: health & fitness, lifestyle